Brandon Overton Sweeps Swainsboro for Third-Straight Southern Nationals Triumph
(July 21, 2018) Brandon Overton captured his third-straight Schaeffer’s Oil Southern Nationals Series presented by Sunoco Race Fuels and Tennessee RV on Saturday Night at Swainsboro (Ga.) Raceway.
This was the eighth career victory for Overton, of Evans, Ga., while driving the Billy Franklin-owned, BCI Asphalt, Textron Off Road, Hoosier Racing Tire, RW Powell Construction-sponsored Clements Racing Engines-powered Rocket Chassis.
Three caution flags slowed the 53-lapper. The first caution flew on the opening lap as Brian Connor, Casey Roberts and Aaron Ridley all got together in turn two but with no laps complete by series rules, all cars were re-aligned for the restart. The race would remain green until lap 50 when Casey Roberts would slow with just three circuits to go. On the restart, Shanon Buckingham would slow going down the backstretch and bring out the caution flag. Buckingham would have a flat right-rear tire and was running third before the caution came out. Overton would hold off Bailes for the race win and $5,300. Third place finisher would be Dale McDowell for the third straight night while Aaron Ridley finished fourth and John Henderson would round out the top-five.
Round Six will take the Schaeffer’s Oil Southern Nationals Series presented by Sunoco Race Fuels and Tennessee RV to Rome Speedway in Rome, Ga. racing 53 laps for $5,300-to-win.
Official Summary of Results
Schaeffer’s Oil Southern Nationals Series
Round 5-Swainsboro raceway-Swainsboro, GA
1. Brandon Overton-Evans, Ga.
2. Ross Bailes-Clover, S.C.
3. Dale McDowell-Chickamauga, Ga.
4. Aaron Ridley-Chatsworth, Ga.
5. John Henderson-North Augusta, S.C.
6. Donald McIntosh-Dawsonville, Ga.
7. Clay Harris-Jupiter, Fla.
8. Joey Coulter-Concord, N.C.
9. Robby Moses-Maryville, Tenn.
10. Billy Franklin-Calera, Ala.
11. Dennis Franklin-Gaffney, S.C.
12. Casey Roberts-Toccoa, Ga.
13. Shanon Buckingham-Morristown, Tenn.
14. Cla Knight-North Augusta, S.C.
15. Forrest Trent-Talbott, Tenn.
16. Brian Connor-Martinez, Ga.
17. Ivedent Lloyd Jr.-Ocala, Fla.
18. Blake Smith-Dublin, Ga.
Overall Fast Qualifier:
Time of Race: 23 minutes, 21 seconds
Lap Leaders: Overton (1-53)
Cautions: Three (laps 0, 50, 50 RS)
Red Flags: None
CT525 Engine Bonus: Clay Harris ($200)www.southernnationalsseries.com