Brandon Overton Becomes Third Different Winner in Southern Nationals Stop at Toccoa Raceway
(July 19, 2018) Brandon Overton of Evans, Ga. led from start to finish on Thursday Night at Toccoa Raceway during Round Three of the Schaeffer’s Oil Southern Nationals Series presented by Sunoco Race Fuels and Tennessee RV. (McLeod Media Services Photo)
Overton earned $3,500 for his sixth career payday while driving the Billy Franklin-owned, BCI Asphalt, Textron Off Road, Hoosier Racing Tire, RW Powell Construction-sponsored Clements Racing Engines-powered Rocket Chassis.
Casey Roberts and Brandon Overton would bring the 22-car field to life for the start of the 35-lapper with Overton getting the jump and holding on to the point on the third try of a start. Two cautions slowed the race before the field could complete a lap. Overton would hold off Casey Roberts, Dale McDowell, Shanon Buckingham and tenth starting Cade Dillard for the victory.
Five caution flags slowed the main event. The first yellow flew on the opening lap for the start being called back. The next yellow flag came with again no laps complete as Aaron Ridley slowed in turn two with a right-front flat tire. The third yellow flag flew on lap one as Clayton Turner came to a stop in turn four. On lap nine, the yellow flag would wave as Drew Benfield and Robby Moses both got together in turn four. The final yellow would wave on lap 24 as Joey Coulter came to a stop in turn two.
The series moves on to Swainsboro (Ga.) Raceway on Friday Night for $5,300-to-win and the series will also race on Saturday Night at Swainsboro (Ga.) Raceway for $5,300-to-win. Screven Motor Speedway’s event on Saturday has been canceled so Swainsboro will take the Round 4 and Round 5 events.
Official Summary of Results
Schaeffer’s Oil Southern Nationals Series
Round 3-Toccoa Raceway-Toccoa, GA
1. Brandon Overton-Evans, Ga.
2. Casey Roberts-Toccoa, Ga.
3. Dale McDowell-Chickamauga, Ga.
4. Shanon Buckingham-Morristown, Tenn.
5. Cade Dillard-Robeline, La.
6. Donald McIntosh-Dawsonville, Ga.
7. Forrest Trent-Talbott, Tenn.
8. Kenny Collins-Colbert, Ga.
9. Craig Vosbergen-Perth, W. Australia
10. Payton Freeman-Commerce, Ga.
11. Joey Coulter-Concord, N.C.
12. Brent Dixon-Elberton, Ga.
13. Dennis Franklin-Gaffney, S.C.
14. Cla Knight-North Augusta, S.C.
15. Aaron Ridley-Chatsworth, Ga.
16. David Doherty-Sydney, Australia
17. J.R. Moseley-Columbus, Ga.
18. Clayton Turner-Toccoa, Ga.
19. Robby Moses-Maryville, Tenn.
20. Drew Benfield-Toccoa, Ga.
21. Drew Collins-Auburn, Ga.
22. Jay Motes-Gainesville, Ga.
Overall Fast Qualifier: Casey Roberts-11.961 seconds
Time of Race: 25 minutes, 2 seconds
Lap Leaders: Overton (1-35)
Cautions: Five (laps 0, 0, 1, 9, 24)
Red Flags: None
All Steel Engine Bonus ($200) Drew Collins
Heat-1 Finish: Craig Vosbergen, Clayton Turner, Payton Freeman, Dennis Franklin, Drew Collins, Robby Moses.
Heat-2 Finish: J.R. Moseley, Kenny Collins, Brent Dixon, Cla Knight, Drew Benfield, Jay Motes, Johnny Cloer (Did Not Start).www.southernnationalsseries.com