Vic Hill Wins in “THRILLing” Fashion During Southern Nationals Series Visit to Boyd’s Speedway
(July 24, 2018) Vic Hill narrowly edged out Dale McDowell at the finish by .058 seconds to score his seventh career Schaeffer’s Oil Southern Nationals Series by Sunoco Race Fuels and Tennessee RV on Tuesday Night at Boyd’s Speedway.
Hill drove the Orthopedic Center of Western Kentucky, Landair Transport and Pilot Travel Centers-sponsored Vic Hill Racing Engine-powered Longhorn Chassis to the $3,500 payday and career win number seven on the tour.
Vic Hill would lead start-to-finish in the 35-lapper at Boyd’s Speedway. He would be challenged towards the end of the race by outside polesitter Randy Weaver and challenged again from Dale McDowell on the final lap but Hill narrowly would hold on for the win at the line over fourth-starting McDowell, Weaver, eight-starting John Ownbey and 14th starting Donald McIntosh who finished fifth.
Only two caution flags slowed the race. The first caution came on lap two when sixth-starting Brandon Overton slowed on the frontstretch and pulled pitside with mechanical issued. The second yellow flag came on lap 13 when Jadon Frame spun on the frontstretch after contact with a lapped car. Frame was running second at the time.
The tour will have its final off day tomorrow before heading to Crossville (Tenn.) Speedway on Thursday July 26th to start the final three points races of the tour. Crossville’s event pays $3,500-to-win. Friday’s race at Smoky Mountain (Tenn.) Speedway pays $5,300-to-win while Saturday’s Ray Varner Ford 53 pays $10,000-to-win at Tazewell (Tenn.) Speedway.
Official Summary of Results
Schaeffer’s Oil Southern Nationals Series
Round 7-Boyd’s Speedway-Ringgold, GA
1. Vic Hill-Mosheim, Tenn.
2. Dale McDowell-Chickamauga, Ga.
3. Randy Weaver-Crossville, Tenn.
4. John Ownbey-Cleveland, Tenn.
5. Donald McIntosh-Dawsonville, Ga.
6. David Payne-Murphy, N.C.
7. Cory Hedgecock-Loudon, Tenn.
8. Casey Roberts-Toccoa, Ga.
9. J.T. Seawright-Fort Payne, Ala.
10. Aaron Ridley-Chatsworth, Ga.
11. Joey Coulter-Concord, N.C.
12. David Doherty-Sydney, Australia
13. Cla Knight-North Augusta, S.C.
14. Kenny Collins-Colbert, Ga.
15. Casey Turman-Lafayette, Ga.
16. Tyler Millwood-Kingston, Ga.
17. Forrest Trent-Talbott, Tenn.
18. Clay Harris-Jupiter, Fla.
19. Craig Greer-Cleveland, Tenn.
20. Bobby Giffin-Maryville, Tenn.
21. Jadon Frame-Winchester, Tenn.
22. Brandon Overton-Evans, Ga.
Overall Fast Qualifier: Randy Weaver-14.098 seconds
Time of Race: 22 minutes, 57 seconds
Lap Leaders: Hill (1-35)
Cautions: Two (laps 2, 13)
Red Flags: None
Provisionals: Craig Greer and Casey Turman
CT525 Engine-Highest Finisher: Clay Harris-$200
Heat-1 Finish: J.T. Seawright, Cla Knight, Joey Coulter, Bobby Giffin, Aaron Ridley, Casey Turman, Scott Groves, Dan Tipton (DNS), Lamar Scoggins (DNS).
Heat-2 Finish: Casey Roberts, Donald McIntosh, Cory Hedgecock, Tyler Millwood, Forrest Trent, Tod Hernandez, Jason Melton, Craig Greer, David Doss.www.southernnationalsseries.com